Saturday, December 28, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I finally read it!  This has been on my short list since before I purchased it.

The book starts with the memories of Jacob Portman, the narrator, and the stories his grandfather told him when he was younger.  Jacob is now a teenager, 15 going on 16, and, struggling with missing his grandfather, sets out on a journey to discovery his grandfather, himself, and his future.  It's a quirky little coming of age story with just the right amounts of creepy and intrigue to liven it all up.

I enjoyed Riggs' characterization and character development, though it's just a little bit more 2-dimensional than I would have liked -- I am very much looking forward to the second book and I expect that the characters will develop further and we might find some more dimension to them. :)

I loved the pictures Riggs used and was even happier to discover that they were not pictures created for this book but, rather, vintage photographs already owned by Riggs and people he knows.  HOW COOL!

All in all, a fun read, well-paced, and interesting, and I'm looking forward to Book 2!
Recommend for anyone who enjoys the unusual, the disturbing, the fantastical.

This and other reviews can be found at AllBookReviewer.blogspot.com.

No comments: