Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book: Using Whole Foods to Relieve Crohn's Disease and Colitis by Christie A. Korth


Review based on ARC.

As I was reading the book (very quickly), I kept changing who I wanted to give it to next.  I do not personally suffer from IBD (at least, not as far as I know), but I have very close friends and family who do, and I thought that any book that seeks to use whole foods to relieve inflammatory issues in the body would be helpful to all.

Korth wrote a very accessible and relatable book.  You do not have to have IBD to gain from the book.  I thought that her approach was encouraging and informative.  She gave a lot of information, but not so much that the reader felt weighed down.  I understand that some people who DO suffer from IBD are seeking more information, but I feel like the references provided by Korth (at the end of the book and throughout) are excellent sources for that additional information.  I personally appreciated that Korth did not feel the need to expound in great detail about every aspect that she discussed.

The case histories with which she began each section were not my favorite part, but I could see that they would be encouraging to those suffering from IBD.

Overall, I think the book is an excellent resource, a great starting point, and an important perspective to health in general.  ALL of us can benefit from decreasing inflammatory substances, and NONE of us wants to encourage IBD issues in our lives.  I also really appreciated the substantial recipe section in the book and am looking forward to trying all of them!

Oh, and I'm passing the book onto my friend who suffers from severe IBD, largely in the form of ulcerative colitis, who has been looking for a whole foods and natural approach for years.  And I'll buy a new copy of the book for the recipes in the back... ;)

FOUR of five stars.

No comments: