Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

On this, here, Election Day... a book review.  Nothing about the election ;)

Breathe is yet another dystopian, not-too-distant future, young adult novel about the dangers of taking something essential for granted, and, of course, some romance.  But don't get discouraged by that description.  When I first started reading the book, I sighed in resignation.

YET.  It was a great take on the "same-old."  In this instance, the essential element that we've taken for granted is, you guessed it, air.  We've cut down all the trees, and now we must subsist on manufactured air in a bubble.  The bubble is, of course, tightly managed by the elite, and there is, of course, a resistance.

But the story was very well told, the characters were vivid and believable (plus flawed! but not too flawed ;)), and the plot moves along at the perfect pace.  I read the book quickly, and I was very satisfied when I turned the last page.

For its audience, this book is definitely a stand-out.  I highly recommend.
FOUR out of five stars.

No comments: